Wednesday, July 11, 2018

The War That Saved My Life

The War That Saved My Life
Author: Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Reviewer: Denise Z.



Summary: A young disable girl and her brother are evacuated from London to the English countryside during World War II, where they find life to be much sweeter away from their abusive mother.

Review: For this month's book, I wanted to switch things up a bit and review a chapter book. I was not disappointed with Kimberly Brubaker Bradley's novel about a young girl named Ada and her life with an abusive mother during World War II.

Summary: A young disabled girl and her brother are evacuated from London to the English countryside during World War II, where they find life to be much sweeter away from their abusive mother. 

"And even if it felt like Mam hated me, she had to love me, didn't she? She had to love me, because she was my mam, and Susan was just somebody who got stuck taking care of Jamie and me because of the war."

This was a very enjoyable and engaging read for me, partly because it reminded me so much of Anne of Green Gables with it's historical traits and Ada reminding me of Anne with her bravery and determination. The author has a fondness of L.M. Montgomery and it definitely shows in her own writing. As a writer, I enjoyed how this book proved the point that you can get inspired from other writers and their work and roll with that inspiration to make your own novels.

The descriptions for Ada's abuse from her mother and the feelings she has from them are attention-grabbing and powerful. These types of scenes make the reader fall in love with Ada and want to see her triumph. The relationship between her and her younger brother is also another touching element in this series.

The War That Saved My Life is a wonderful example of character growth throughout a novel. I guarantee you'll adore Ada and want to see her succeed and overcome her disability, her horrible upbringing, and the terror of World War II.  

This is a 2016 Newbery Honor Book with additional awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment