Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Out of My Mind

Out of My Mind
Author: Sharon M. Draper
Narrator: Sisi Aisha Johnson
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Reviewer: Denise

http://ccsp.ent.sirsi.net/client/rlapl/search/results?qu=out+of+my+mind+sharon+m.+draper&te=&lm=ROUND_LAKE&dt=list


Summary: Out of My Mind is a story about a young girl living with cerebral palsy and how she conquers her disability.

Review: In this book, is a lifetime filled with lessons. We meet Melody Brooks, a child who is born with cerebral palsy. She describes how it feels to not be able to speak, be in a wheelchair, and live her day to day life. Narrator Sisi Aisha Johnson does a wonderful depiction of Melody’s thoughts and the feelings she has that goes with them. All of these intricate and intelligent thoughts Melody has are inside of her, but she isn’t able to express herself. Many, from doctors to teachers, don’t understand that cerebral palsy only affects her body and not her mind. Melody is smart and should not be underestimated, and her parents and a loving neighbor know this and are filled with compassion. To hear how Melody describes her constant struggle with her disability, I find myself even more thankful that I am able to communicate in so many ways. This will tug at your heartstrings and you’ll also gain a better understanding of those with a disability.

No comments:

Post a Comment