Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Saving Winslow

Saving Winslow
Author: Sharon Creech
Rating: 3.5-4/5 Stars
Reviewer: Kelly

Summary: Our main character, Louie, is introduced in the very first chapter to a newborn donkey who has lost his mother.  Louie decides to take on the task of caring for the small donkey because he cannot fathom the idea of the donkey not surviving.

Everyone around Louie is doubting the donkey’s survival.  This drives Louie even more to succeeding.  Though he faces many hardships through the donkey’s first few weeks, he is determined, as Winslow, becomes his friend.

A heartwarming story of bravery and friendship.  This is the story of Louie, a donkey and everything that they can overcome together.

Review: Saving Winslow is an extraordinary story of friendship.  This book is easy to read and fun for the whole family.  I only gave it a rating of 3.5-4 stars because I thought it was a little too cautious as far as the writing goes.  Let me explain.  I chose this book for a Books and Bites pick, book club for all ages, at the library.  From my research, this title did not have any potentially sensitive areas, for a book discussion.  That was really what I wanted for a family program.  That being said, Sharon Creech did a great job and it will be perfect for a family discussion.  I just think that it could have had abit more.  I felt as if the book never really started and/or never really ended.

Saving Winslow is very sweet but I believe there were opportunities in the book to challenge the reader to think more.  It felt like a small, missed opportunity.


I still enjoyed the book, would recommend it to any child as a beginning chapter book.  This is a perfect read aloud for the entire family.  This book would pair very well with Charlotte’s Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment