Thursday, June 1, 2017

Friends with Boys






Friends with Boys  
Author: Faith Erin Hicks
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Reviewer: Denise Z.
Cover image for Friends with boys
 
Summary: A coming-of-age tale with a spooky twist! Maggie McKay hardly knows what to do with herself. After an idyllic childhood of homeschooling with her mother and rough-housing with her older brothers, it's time for Maggie to face the outside world, all on her own. But that means facing high school first. And it also means solving the mystery of the melancholy ghost who has silently followed Maggie throughout her entire life. Maybe it even means making a new friend―one who isn't one of her brothers. 

Review: This is my first graphic novel that I ever read and I’m surprisingly pleased. Not only did I enjoy the format of dialogue and artwork, I liked the story and the messages that came along with it. I could see any school-aged child that feels out of place in school, homeschooled, or has unruly siblings really enjoying this book and relating to Maggie. Throw in the paranormal and this is a hit! I was excited to find out when the next book in this graphic novel series will be out, but it looks like we as readers are supposed to make our own conclusion on the ghost’s reason for haunting Maggie. I’m disappointed there won’t be a book two because I could see so many different directions the author could have taken with the ghost and how Maggie’s relationships with her new school friends evolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment