Thursday, March 20, 2014

Top 5 of 2013



Favorite Five Books from 2013
Reviewer: Robert

 
http://ccsp.ent.sirsi.net/client/rlapl/search/results?qu=sixkill+robert+b.+parker&te=&lm=ROUND_LAKE&dt=list

5. Sixkill by Robert B. Parker
This is the last of the Spencer series from the late Mr. Parker. I spent a lot of time with Spencer and Susan Silverman in 2012-13, and was sad to see them go. Yet, Sixkill was a hopeful note for an overall satisfying series. (And, though no one book jumped out at me, I wrangled through Ed McBain’s 87th Precinct series as well. Time well spent.)


 
4. Archie Meets Nero Wolfe by Robert Goldsborough
Some years ago I made one of the best decisions of my life, to read through the Nero Wolfe detective series by Rex Stout. What a rich world to spend time in, and how comforting to know that Nero and Archie Goodwin will be there when I go back. In the meantime, Mr. Goldsborough sometimes dabbles in Wolfe’s world, and he did it well enough here to bring me to tears at the end, knowing the lives of Archie and Nero yet to come.




3. The Introvert’s Way by Sophie Dembling
A life changing book for me; hey, I’m an introvert – and it’s okay. Ms. Dembling helped me to discover why I act the way I do a lot of the time, and more importantly, to let me know – it’s okay. (Excuse me now – I need to go read a book.)






2. Song of Kali by Dan Simmons
The main character of this book does NOT LIKE CALCUTTA. After spending time with Simmons mulling this creepy dank miasma of foulness and rotting death, I don’t think I like it much either. Simmons really knows how to establish a mood.





1. Watership Down by Richard Adams
And speaking of establishing a mood, the characters I most bonded with this year, the ones who showed me true humanity in splendid highs and tragic lows – yep, to quote Lost’s Sawyer: It’s about bunnies. Adams created a wonderful world and worlds to come. When the stranger says to Hazel, “You’ve been feeling tired,” it gave (gives) me an indescribable feeling of heartbroken joy. Another thankfulness for lives spent and lives yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment