Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Dog Chronicles: Darling, Mercy Dog of World War I, 1917

Dog Chronicles: Darling, Mercy Dog of World War I, 1917
Author: Alison Hart
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Reviewer: Deb

http://ccsp.ent.sirsi.net/client/rlapl/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:2298120/one?qu=darling%2C+mercy+dog+of+world+war+I&lm=ROUND_LAKE

Summary: Darling is a border collie living in a small village in southern England. He is a beloved pet of three children. But when the pet tax is too expensive, the family sends her off to the War to become a Mercy Dog.  Darling is trained and meets several military folk who befriend her, and guide her to become an invaluable part of the War as a Mercy Dog.  Mercy Dogs go into the battlefields to locate wounded soldiers and lead the medics to the soldiers. They also carried medical supplies and water to wounded men.  They had to be brave and smart despite gunfire, bombs and poisonous gases.  What keeps Darling alive is her hope to go back home to her family.

Review: Darling narrates this tale so you see the War through her eyes. I learned so much about these amazing dogs from this story. I never knew they existed. These dogs were only used during World War I because of the trench warfare. The United States did not have any, but England and France had many. I enjoyed this story about these brave dogs that helped so many during the horrors of World War I.

No comments:

Post a Comment