Friday, August 24, 2012

Bone


Bone
By: Jeff Smith
5/5 stars
Reviewer: Will N.



What is Bone, I hear you ask?  Bone is...wait, what?  You didn't ask?  Well...uh, it doesn't really work if you don't ask.  So, just go on, go ahead and ask.  You can, I don't know, whisper it or something, or write it on your hand.  Go on, I'll wait.

....we good?  Ah-ha!  Excellent.  So!  What is Bone, you just now asked?  Good question (if I don't say so myself).  Bone is an all-ages comic boo - hey, hey hey!  Get back here!  You asked so now you'll have to listen to the whole spiel, capiche?  Yes, I know I said all-ages comic book, but that doesn't mean it's just for kids!  This is for all ages, I'm telling you.  Just trust me on this.  Sit down.

There.  *Ahem*  So, this is a story of humor, and epic fantasy.  It follows three strange creatures, cartoonish cousins from a place called Boneville, as they stumble into an uncharted valley unlike anything in their experience.  There they find themselves pulled into a troubled kingdom filled with ancient conflict, and encounter princesses, dragons, monsters, and more.  We are talking fantasy epic here, think Lord of the Rings, only with more of a sense of humor.  Did I mention it's funny?  And that it is a fantasy story?  You have that look that tells me you get the idea, and that I should stop talking now.  I suppose I will, since part of the fun is figuring out the story as you go.

Bone was independantly published, written and drawn entirely by cartoonist Jeff Smith.  The series has won over twenty one awards.  It may take a little while to get going, but it is well worth the attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment