Monday, July 23, 2012

Quiet

Quiet

Author: Susan Cain
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Reviewer: Lydia



I normally enjoy fiction, so this book was a departure for me. In Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can’t Stop Talking, Susan Cain explores the primary differences between introverts and extroverts and aims to dispel the negative connotation of the word “introvert”. Cain argues that introverts are more than just shy, reserved people who enjoy spending time alone or reading—in fact, she flips this stereotype on its head and points out the countless positive attributes of introverted people. From powerful CEOs to grade school teachers, introverts bring a unique set of skills to the table, much the same way that extroverts do.

Caught somewhere between a crash course in psychology and a piece of journalism written in first-person perspective, simply put, this book was a fascinating read. While there are many case studies and a hefty dose of scientific jargon, the book still appeals to a mass audience. I know I’m not alone when I say that Quiet taught me to accept my introversion, because being an introvert isn’t a disease or some sort of anomaly. With such a positive message, embrace your inner introvert and pick up this great book for a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment